If you are an outdoorsy person who likes the water, chances are you would enjoy a kayaking experience. If you want to go kayaking, of course you want to choose a watercraft that will give you the best experience possible. Depending on your specific set of needs, this just might be the Wilderness Systems Ripper Sit on Top Recreational Kayak.
This is a great kayak for various types of people, offering a variety of features that you might like. It will let you enjoy kayaking not only on lakes and slow rivers, but also coastal waters. The company aims to provide you with the best performance, comfort, and dependability that they can with their products.
The Wilderness Systems Ripper Sit on Top Recreational Kayak offers a variety of features that many people might find give them the optimal kayaking experience. Some of these features are as follows:
- Capable of moving on many different types of water. This includes lakes, slow-moving rivers, slow streams, calm coastal waters, and ocean surf
- Very stable and allows you to easily sit on top
- Overall compact package
- Adjustable back of the seat
- Molded-in footrests that will accommodate paddlers of different sizes
- Dry storage in the form of a mishap hatch, a rear storage tank well that contains bungee for coolers and other types of gear that you might need
- Six scuppers for drainage, as well as a ride that is more dry
- Handles for easy transportation on the front and rear, as well as molded-in handles on the side
- Weight of the item is 39 lb
- Maximum capacity of 225 lb
- Beverage holder at a location that will provide you with easy reach
- Four deck loops that will allow attachment of thigh straps (which are sold separately); the thigh straps can be used in surf conditions, so that you can experience a more responsive ride
- Comes in a variety of colors; you can choose between blue, yellow, and red
This is a kayak that will fit paddlers of many different sizes and accommodate different body shapes. There are multiple footrest positions that will allow for leg adjustments, as well as optimal comfort for a variety of different people.
The scuppers are very helpful as well. In some cases, you are going to be going on a ride that is not very calm if this is what you prefer. When you are in more turbulent waters, water will tend to get into your kayak. When this happens, it is good to have scuppers in order to drain the water. This will prevent the kayak from filling up with water, which could be potentially dangerous to you, and it will also make the ride drier and more comfortable for you overall.
What Do Users Say?
People have a variety of different things to say about the Wilderness Systems Ripper Sit on Top Recreational Kayak. Of course, you should keep in mind that any review that comes from a user does not necessarily mean that you are going to have the same experience. People have different tastes in terms of what they like to do on the water, as well as different body types in order to experience different levels of comfort on any given kayak.
Not So Big
Some people have commented that this kayak is more ideal for a person of a smaller build. This makes sense, as the capacity is only 225 lb, as compared to some kayaks which will accommodate a bigger person. The upside to this is that for a smaller person who can easily fit into it, they will be able to easily transport it and move it around on top of their vehicle without any issue.
View this post on Instagram
Scuppers or No Scuppers?
Although the scuppers are meant to drain water, some users say that they actually bring more water into the kayak, and they are better off using the kayak if they put plugs in the holes. This may be ideal for you, but remember that the scuppers are always there in case you need water drained from the kayak, so it might be a good idea to bring plugs and be willing to take them in and out as necessary when you are using this particular kayak.
Some people have also complained about the customer service. They say that they received the kayak and a condition that was less than optimal. Either parts were missing or there was another type of problem with the product. People have said that Wilderness Systems does provide good customer service when there is a product defect, so it is not all bad news here.
Pros and Cons
As is the case with any item, there are both pros and cons that come with the Wilderness Systems Ripper Sit on Top Recreational Kayak. Basically, these can be garnered from what the users had to say about it.
The advantages are as follows:
- Easy to transport and user-friendly, particularly for smaller users.
- Unlike some other kayaks that are only usable on calm waters, you can use this kayak on rougher waters as well
- The molded-in footrests will allow the kayak to accommodate passengers of different sizes
- The toggle handles and molded inside handles make it even easier to transport than it would be just because of its construction and size
- Dry storage capabilities make it so that you will be able to take gear on your journey on the water
However, as is the case with any product, there are also cons. The disadvantages of this product are as follows:
- Even though the scuppers are intended to give the passenger a drier ride, many reported that it actually brings water into the kayak unnecessarily
- This might not be the best product for larger kayakers, as it only accommodates passengers who weigh up to 225 lb
- Many kayaks arrive with damages or defects, which is an inconvenience for the customer
Of course, you are going to have to make your own decision when it comes to this kayak and whether or not it is right for you. It may be right for you, depending on what exactly you are looking for in a kayaking experience.
Our rating: 4.2 / 5
There are many things that people have to say about the Wilderness Systems Ripper Sit on Top Recreational Kayak. It is a great product for some people, but other people believe that it leaves a lot to be desired. You can figure out whether or not it is right for you by doing all the appropriate research on this and competing products, so that you can see if it offers you the features that you want for the optimal kayaking experience.
Users also searched for: