When you have a kayak, your main issues are how to get it to the water and how to store it. You want to keep it safe from damage when you aren’t using it, yet it should be simple to get it onto your trailer when you are ready for a kayaking adventure. You have a lot of choices available, including ceiling storage, garage storage, or even a kayak roof rack.
Properly storing your kayak will ensure that it lasts longer because it is protected from the elements, it is less likely to suffer damage, and it is less likely to be stolen. In addition, it is safer for you and your family because it will be less likely to fall. Continue reading to learn about the best kayak storage racks.
What to Look for
When you are looking for the best kayak rack, there are certain features to keep in mind.
Outdoors or Indoors
You need to decide whether you want to store it in your garage or outdoors, and you might have different needs for storage during the season versus long-term storage during the off season. For example, if you have a kayak roof rack, this might be a good option for daily use. However, over the winter, you might choose a kayak rack on the ceiling.
You should consider the size of your kayak. There are racks for recreational-sized kayaks that are six to twelve feet long, while a high-performance kayak is 18 feet long. If you have more than one kayak, make sure that you choose a rack that will accommodate the largest kayak you have. You can get a kayak rack for one kayak or for multiple kayaks so you should consider your needs.
Type of Rack
There are different types of kayak storage racks to accommodate different spaces so you need to know where you will use it. They have free-standing kayak racks, ceiling racks, wall racks, and more so know where you need to use it. Be sure to account for the weight of your kayak as some racks have weight limits. Once you know what your needs are, it will be easier to narrow it down to choose the best kayak rack.
7 Best Kayak Storage Racks
So without further ado, let’s check out the best kayak racks you can get your hands on.
1) Suspenz EZ Kayak Rack
The Suspenz EZ Kayak Rack has two heavy-duty brackets and straps to mount on the wall. The brackets are covered with foam padding for hull protection and they are powder-coated steel so that you can use them indoors or outdoors. The straps are reinforced safety straps and they securely hold your kayak in place. The rack only extends 21 inches out from the wall and it holds up to 100 pounds.
You can mount the rack up high on the wall to ensure that your kayak is out of the way when it is stored. Just make sure that you can lift it onto and off of the rack easily. This rack is affordable and versatile, and it provides you with options for installation. You can choose yellow or black brackets and they are secure for any kayak that is 100 pounds or less.
- It extends 21” out from the wall
- It is 21” long
- The safety straps are 1.5” wide
- The mounting holes are spaced 4” apart
- The cradle is 13” on the wall side and 9” on the other side
- Easy setup
- Easy, safe storage
- Foam padding that protects your kayak from scratches
- Heavy-duty straps that keep kayak in place
- Rack that only extends 21” from the wall
- If you mount it high on the wall, it can be difficult to remove and replace kayak
2) Harken Ceiling Hoist Storage
The Harken ceiling hoist comes in a variety of options so you can get the one that is perfect for your garage and your kayak. You will need to choose the ceiling height and the weight of your kayak. You have choices ranging from 10 to 16 feet for your ceiling height, and from 60 to 200 pounds for the weight.
The system is easy to use and one person can operate it. It is a four-point hoist kit and it comes with all of the installation instructions. It will lift and lower your kayak evenly, no matter what the weight distribution is. This makes it easy to store and then return to your kayak roof rack when you are ready for another adventure.
It has a self-locking safety cleat that grips instantly if the rope is accidentally released, which is a great precaution. It is made with stainless steel hardware and strong double-braid rope. This hoist is strong, convenient, and durable, and it works great for storing your kayak.
- You can choose from 10’ to 16’ ceiling height
- You can choose weights between 60 and 200 pounds
- Easy to use
- Conveniently lowers kayak onto your car roof rack for use
- Balances the kayak with its four point system
- Offers multiple options to get the right one for your needs
- Offers additional safety features
- The installation can prove difficult
- Lag and wood bolts not included
3) Malone Auto Racks FS 6 Kayak Storage Rack System
The Malone Auto Rack System can store up to six kayaks, and it is powder-coated for both indoor and outdoor kayak storage. It comes with four sets of steel padded J-style holders and two sets of foam stacker blocks that will protect your kayak during storage. It has eight total frame levelers so that your kayaks are safe and sturdy.
This rack can store up to six kayaks and it has a 500-pound load capacity. It comes with a lifetime warranty. It is strong, affordable, and built to last a lifetime. You can store any type of kayak on this rack and it will accommodate paddle boards as well. If you want more portability, you can purchase a caster wheel separately and it will enable you to move the rack as needed.
- 54” x 48” x 83”
- 57 pounds
- Is very strong and comes with a lifetime warranty
- Made of powder-coated steel for indoor and outdoor use
- Holds up to 500 pounds and six kayaks
- Can purchase caster wheel separately for greater portability
- You need a space to store it
- A bit expensive
4) Rad Sportz Kayak Lift Hoist
This is one of the best kayak storage racks, and it makes it easy to store your kayak and return it to your kayak roof rack when you are headed out. It attaches to the ceiling of your garage and it provides solid support for your kayak with a built-in hoist. It can accommodate up to 125 pounds, and it has nylon straps and rubber-coated hooks to make sure that your kayak doesn’t get scratched or damaged.
This house has a special self-locking mechanism that prevents it from accidentally releasing your kayak, which is great for safety and protection from damage. It is very easy to mount the hoist. You wimpy screw the mount directly into a joist or a 2 x 4 that you mount on the ceiling. You can lower the cradles of the hoist to the ground and then you can place your kayak on the cradles, attach the strap, and hoist the kayak up to keep it safe until you need it again. It only stores one kayak but you can fit more than one of these hoists on the ceiling of your garage.
- For ceilings up to 12’
- 125-pound capacity
- 12” x 12” x 6” and weighs 6.2 pounds
- It is easy to install and use
- The self-locking mechanism prevents it from releasing the kayak by mistake
- The nylon straps and rubber coated hooks protect kayak
- You can easily store and retrieve your kayak
- Only stores one kayak
- You need a high-ceiling garage if you plan to store the boat above your car
5) Malone Auto Racks J-Dock Hybrid Kayak and Gear Garage Storage Racks
The Malone J-Dock is an affordable option for storing your kayak with a wall-mount J-style storage system. It has a practical design that allows you to store two kayaks and it is made with corrosion-resistant material. The padded surface provides extra protection for your kayak and it has powder-coated steel that will work indoors or outdoors. It also comes with two cradles, mounting hardware, and cam loop straps.
These kayak storage racks can handle up to 150 pounds and they have a 12-foot nylon strap to help hold the kayak securely in place. Each mount weighs only six pounds so it is easy for you to install and mount without any help. It comes with everything you need. If you have only one kayak, the other mount can hold a paddle board or a cargo box. It is a simple solution to kayak storage.
- Racks weigh only six pounds
- They hold 150 pounds
- 12-foot nylon strap is included
- It is easy to install and comes with everything you need
- Corrosion-resistant material allows you to use indoors or outdoors
- It holds two kayaks up to 150 pounds
- It has strong 12-foot nylon strap for added security
- Can be difficult to store kayak if mount is too high on the wall
6) Fleximounts 3’ x 8’ Heavy Duty Overhead Garage Adjustable Ceiling Storage
This ceiling storage mount by Fleximounts allows you to store your kayaks on the ceiling of your garage out of the way of everything. It has longer ceiling mounts that attach to two joists and it is stable and secure. All of the materials that are included have been thoroughly tested for quality, and the ceiling storage can hold up to 600 pounds.
It has an integrated grid design and it comes with simple instructions so that you can install it yourself. It works on all ceilings with joist spacing of less than 24 inches and it is safe for your kayak. You can adjust the height of the storage from 22 to 40 inches so you can make it easy to reach your kayak when it is time to take it out and use it. You can also buy hooks and hang your kayak under this storage unit.
- 96” x 36” x 22”-40”
- Adjustable drop down from 22” to 40”
- Needs ceiling joists that are less than 24” apart
- Holds up to 600 pounds
- ZProvides safe storage for your kayak
- Easy to install on your own
- Safely holds up to 600 pounds
- You can get hooks and hang kayak under the rack
- You need to protect your kayak when you slide it on
- It can be difficult to store and retrieve kayak
7) Suspenz Universal Portable Boat Stand
If you are looking for simple kayak storage, this is a great choice. You can use this Suspenz boat stand indoors or outdoors and it is very stable, even on uneven ground. It will hold up to 10 pounds. It is made with lightweight aluminum and stainless steel hardware so it is very portable. You can store your kayak wherever you are and protect it from damage.
This boat stand folds up and fits into a mesh bag when it’s not in use so you can bring it with you to the water and store your kayak while you are out. The frame is coated in yellow paint and the top has a nylon strap for extra strength and support. It also has foam padding to protect the bottom of your kayak. This storage rack is two folding stands and you can place one at each end of your kayak. You will need to have the space to store it but this is a great option and easy to use.
- Up to 17” tall
- Folds into mesh carrying bag
- Holds up to 100 pounds
- Both stands weigh just over six pounds
- Portable and convenient
- Versatile — can use this stand anywhere
- Lightweight and comes with mesh carrying case
- You need the ground space to store your kayak with this storage rack
- Not adjustable in height
If you have a kayak, you will want to store it. You have different options depending on your needs. You can store your kayak on a free-standing storage rack or you can get one that mounts to the ceiling or walls in your garage.